- For Professionals
- PHIUS+ Standard
- Case Studies
- Design Guide
- Does Passive Building Cost More to Build ?
- Can Passive Building Scale to Multifamily?
- Are Passive Buildings Resilient?
- Do Passive Buildings Cause Mold?
- What Are the Risks of Passive Building?
- How Long Is The PHIUS+ Certification Process?
- How Much Do Passive House Certifications Differ?
- What About Passive Building HVAC Systems?
PHIUS+ Certification Process Checklist
Please submit your project as early in the design process as possible to allow time for full design review and consultation during the design stage, and to accommodate on-site QA/QC protocols.
Contact the Certification Team at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Step 1: Pre-Process Paperwork
- Review the PHIUS+ Certification Guidebook, which includes energy modeling protocol, as well as vapor control recommendations and other technical details.
PHIUS+ Certification Contract
- Request a project contract & quote here.
- Review and sign the PHIUS+ Certification Contract.
- Return signed contract by email to email@example.com
- NOTE: All projects with a contract date after April 1, 2019 must certify under the PHIUS+ 2018 Passive Building Standard. Please click here for effective dates of all PHIUS+ Certification requirements.
- Upon creation of the project contract, PHIUS will provide a quote for the certification fee. Estimated fees are shown below on this page.
- PHIUS will send an invoice to the client for the quoted fee.
- Payment may be made:
- Option 1: By mail by sending a check and including the invoice #.
- Option 2: By credit card upon request. All credit card transactions incur a 3% fee.
Step 2: Create Project in PHIUS Database & Upload Review Files
- Log into the PHIUS+ Project Database using your CPHC login credentials.
- If necessary, PHIUS will create an account or give you access to submit the project if you do not already have login credentials. PHIUS trained CPHCs will have already received their login details upon becoming certified.
- Create a new project entry. This project entry will not become publicly visible until the project is pre-certified, so do not worry about entering project details at this time.
PHIUS Project DropBox
- Once the PHIUS database project entry has been created, PHIUS will create a DropBox folder for the project and invite the Submitter to the folder. The Submitter may invite other members of the project team to the folder as well.
- Upload project documentation into the appropriate sub-folders within the DropBox.
Step 3: Submit into Review Queue
- Use the form on the top of this page to Submit the Project into the Review Queue.
- Please remember that PHIUS cannot begin a project review unless payment and an executed contract are received.
Step 4: Pre-Certification Design Review Process
Await PHIUS+ Feedback from Reviewer
- Typical turnaround time for the 1st Round review is 6-8 weeks.
- You can track your estimated due date in the Review queue (Use [Ctrl+F] and enter your project number).
- PHIUS will provide a Feedback Form in the project DropBox and notify the submitter via email.
Reply to PHIUS+ Feedback, Repeat.
- Reply to comments in PHIUS+ Feedback form.
- Repeat. Most projects undergo 3 rounds of pre-certification design review. Rounds 2 & 3 have quicker turnaround times.
Receive PHIUS+ Pre-Certified Status
- After the feedback process is complete, if the project is meeting all requirements it will be awarded a PHIUS+ Pre-Certification letter.
Step 5: Final Certification Review
- During construction, the PHIUS+ Rater/Verifier must complete all of the on-site requirements with various site visits. See Guidebook Appendix E: PHIUS+ Rater/Verifier manual for more details.
Upload on-site QA/QC Documentation to DropBox
- After all on-site inspection and testing is complete, the PHIUS+ Rater/Verifier must upload all documentation to the project DropBox.
Submit into Review Queue for Final Review
- Use the form on the top of this page to Submit the Project into the Review Queue for Final Certification Review.
Await PHIUS+ Final Feedback from Reviewer
- Typical turnaround time for final certification review is 2-4 weeks.
Reply to PHIUS+ Final Feedback
- Feedback will be provided to the PHIUS+ Rater/Verifier.
- Any inconsistency/request for documentation will be noted.
- Rater/Verifier to reply and clarify where requested.
Final Certification Awarded
- Once the final review is complete, Final PHIUS+ Certification is awarded.
- PHIUS sends notification via email including information to print on certificates, plaques, etc.