- Passive Building 101
- The PHIUS+ Standard
- See Case Studies
- Designing Passive
- How to Get Certified
What is a Feasibility Study?
A feasibility study is a preliminary assessment used to determine if a building is suitable to meet the PHIUS+ 2015 standard. The study is completed by running a preliminary energy model which is then used to show the level of envelope performance necessary to meet PHIUS+ 2015 standards. The model is completed during the project design phase for developers, architects, owners, and other parties who may be interested in pursuing PHIUS+ Certification for their project.
The fundamental energy model, created by PHIUS, can be used by the project team as a stepping stone once PHIUS+ Certification has been established as a project goal. If you are a CPHC® (Certified Passive House Consultant) who has not used WUFI® Passive, this is an excellent opportunity to work and learn off of an existing energy model. Many government, funding, and granting agencies require documentation that a project can meet the PHIUS+ standards. A feasibility study is the perfect preliminary energy model to meet these requirements.
What Documentation Do I Need to Provide PHIUS to Complete a Feasibility Study?
Generally, the more information that is known about a project, the more accurate the energy model will be. The needed documentation includes:
- Preliminary Drawing Set (floor plans, elevations, sections, etc.)
- A 3D Massing Model (if applicable- Revit ('15), sketchup ('16), 3D AutoCAD ('15)) to speed up the geometry import into WUFI® Passive
- Preliminary Site Photos/Location to assess potential summer/winter shading
- Mechanical Narrative (if possible)
- If Nonresidential, may require additional information such as occupancy/use schedules, planned equipment, etc.
What Does a Feasibility Study Include?
- WUFI® Passive report estimating preliminary annual energy use
- Target envelope performance values to meet PHIUS+ 2015 standards
- WUFI® Passive energy model
- Energy use comparison vs code (optional)
I'm Ready to Start a Feasibility Study! Where Do I Start?
Step 1: Fill out the Feasibility Study registration below
Step 2: Upon successful completion of registration, the Feasibility Study request form will be emailed to the registrant
Step 3: Fill out the Feasibility Study request form
Step 4: PHIUS will then reach out regarding next steps
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software